Sunday, February 11, 2007

Down 10 kilos in 5 weeks!



Above - Body Mass Analysis from Feb. 5th
While in Singapore waiting for my medical appointments and MRI, I was able to get a full body mass analysis at California Fitness. They performed the test for free - so I feel some duty to pitch the gym: if you find yourself in Singapore, I would highly recommend this
gym. The best news was that I have lost 10 kilos (22 lbs) in the 5 weeks since my start. That's a great start and I am happy about those results, especially given that I did not get good workouts for the latter half of January because of work issues. One week in, February has been good, so I hope to keep up the positive momentum.

The analysis provided lots of useful and interesting information – and will be a great baseline. While I was thrilled to be down 10 kilos, the test showed I still have another 50 kilos (110 lbs) of fat on my frame. That’s a lot of extra weight to be lugging around, and I know my body will breathe a huge sigh of relief when I drop it. As further motivation, the test showed muscle mass of 99 kilos and bones of 6 kilos – which means I will be one buff dude if I reach my target of 100 kilos while maintaining most of my muscle mass. I have always maintained I have an awesome six-pack in there somewhere, I just need to find it!

My buddy Sam posed the challenge to me of running the NYC marathon with him in November. My initial response to him was that I get fatigued after driving 26 miles, no way I am going to run that far. In seriousness, I have given serious consideration to the idea. For right now, I plan to stay focused on just getting the weight down enough to even consider it. I would, however, consider that the ultimate accomplishment as part of all this – but for now, I want to stay focused on the first set of goals rather than set the bar too high, too early.

For now, the road I face is hundreds of more hours of cardio on elliptical machines, bikes, and swimming to minimize the impact on my joints – especially my knees are in bad shape after years of football. However, aspirations of crossing that finish line in the Big Apple and breaking the rules to have a celebratory beer with Sam and Mike Blood in a NYC pub will help keep me going.




No comments: