Sunday, June 7, 2009

Globogym, oh, Globogym


It's good my gym provides some space not covered by Hip Adductors and limited themselves to only two cable crossover machines. But naming the area "Functional Training" begs a series of questions. If this area is for the "functional" training, what is the rest of space and stuff for? Non-functional? A rare moment of honesty in an industry full of hucksters? What role do the swiss balls play in "functional" training? For all those times in life I must hoist an item to a high shelf with only a large beach ball to use as a footstep? Or when I have to standup on an unstable surface, like, ah, a sheet of ice floating in a lake? Perhaps I should just be happy my gym is so committed to my health that they are willing to devote about 5% of their floor space to "Functional Training" and give it a prominent label to take credit for their achievement.

1 comment:

KLowe said...

Yes but the interior design is immaculate....at least you can look good while looking good in a good looking setting.

Jk. yes it is rather sad that is all they could do. I'm 32 and spent about 17 years of my life in Globo style gyms.....been crossfitting for a little over a year and the gains made in stregnth, stamina, coordination, explosiveness, endurance...etc, etc totally demolish anything ever accomplished in my compiled years in the Globos. Honestly now when necessity forces me to a globo I just feel sad. Sad for all the suckers that are paying the outrageous fees for shitty equipment and sad for their naivety that what they are doing is the best way to get fit. It is an industry with foundations based on misdirection and miseducation. It WILL crumble as people really learn about what really works.... Hell, most of the soccer moms in my neighborhood are seeing the light and are thinking about the kool-aid.

nice post. Thanks for the read.

Kevin
www.crossfithuntsville.com