Thursday, June 18, 2009

The thrill is gone?

The article below describes my experience with blogging well. However, it fails to discuss one important issue, especially with Facebook: the loss of control. I have noticed some migration away from Facebook as the amount of traffic becomes overwhelming or too many things get posted that the user would rather not see up. Blogging allows greater control for both readers and writers, in my view.

People who strive to have the greatest number of friends on Facebook or followers on Twitter don't make any sense to me. Like the guy who goes to a networking event and measures his success based on how many business cards he take home, these connections have no value unless there is a *real* connection. Similarly, the 'heavy users' who update status constantly with things like "Eating toast, yum!," should consider whether that kind of information would be interesting in a regular conversation. If that answer is no, don't post it.

One challenge for me is that this is a blog about fitness, healthy lifestyle, and nutition (though I mix it with other things like this post in a more 'traditional' blog pattern). But, lifestyle, workouts, and meals can be mundane, which can make for boring or overwhelming numbers of posts. Most specifically, I plan to try to use iPhone and photo posts to serve as online nutritional diary. This is useful and hopefully effective for me, but it makes for alot of non-thrilling content for my readers. For my readers then, I suggest you may want to consider less regular (weekly?) RSS feeds - so you can scan for more interesting/relevant updates.

I have been using Twitter for WoD postings, with mass postings every once in a while to keep transfer the records from Twitter to the blog. Hopefully I can get a better Twitter application for my iPhone soon (my current one, TwitterFon, crashes and stalls frequently) and transition nutrition photos to Twitter to consolidate blog traffic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/07/fashion/07blogs.html?sq=abandoned%20blogs&st=cse&scp=1&pagewanted=print

No comments: