Monday, March 19, 2007

Pound of flesh

I performed an experiment yesterday, to see how much work was required to burn a single pound of fat. I measured the progress with my Polar heart rate monitor, which by the way – for those of you thinking about way to improve the data associated with your workout is great.
  • Exercised for 3.5 hours continuously:
  • Included 2 classes (one Spin class and one Bodypump class) and 50 minutes on the elliptical machine;
  • Average heart rate of 122 through that time; and
  • Peak heart rate of around 200, too high actually when I was pushing hard during the Spin class.

All of this burned 3971 calories, around the amount needed to burn one pound of fat. Of course, I only “lose” that pound of fat if that my caloric intake is equal or less than my BMR or calories burned by my body on its own.

This experiment is useful in helping to remember why weight-loss is so difficult. One, we often want the weight to drop off in days or weeks, when it often crept onto our bodies over months or years. Two, it takes a hell of a lot of work to burn a pound. Further, it was useful in giving me something to concentrate on during one really tough Sunday afternoon workout.

I have a confession to make about yesterday also. While getting ready for my workout, I watched the Rocky IV training scene and final fight sequence not once, but twice. Now I need to go look for my high school letterman jacket and selected action figures to complete my transition to total loser. Err, I mean ‘Biggest Loser’. Off to the gym.

No comments: